Thursday, January 3, 2013

Every New Years I have the same resolution: Finish my novel. I've been writing for a few years now, it started in High school where I spent more time writing stories in my head, than I did making friends. I took one creative writing class and I found out how much I loved to write. In November of 2010, I participated in NaNoWriMo, where the goal is to push yourself to write 50,000 words in 30 days. 30 days and 50,051 words later, I had a novel. Granted, I read it December first and found that it sucked but I still accomplished something that most writers never do.

I had finished my first draft.

This past November, I celebrated my 3rd anniversary doing NaNoWriMo, but something bugged me. In that last 3 years I would tell people about my first draft and my dreams of publication but what had I done with it? Nothing. I rewrote a few new scenes and plotted all of the changes that I made but beyond that, I did nothing with it. I'll write it. I'll get it done. I'm working on the plot. I'm doing research. I'm too busy. Three years later, that flame of passion I had after writing my first draft was slowly being snuffed out.
Not. This. Time.

Inspired by my friend Rusty, I've decided as the motivation that I need, I'm going to work on my book, chapter by chapter, and post it all on this blog. My goal is to post twice a week, either a new chapter or if I get behind some behind the scenes things (research, character history, deleted scenes) Something once a week to keep me going. I hope that, by posting it all online, my friends and family will give me the motivation and criticism I need to keep working. Who knows, maybe once I finish this book, it will lead to another one. All of the history out of the way, on to the book!

The Nightlings, is a urban fantasy that tells the story of Monday Caldecott, A young girl who after running away from home after the death of her close and only friend, becomes homeless in the city of Syringa. Syringa is a safe, perfect city that lives with the town legend of the Nightlings, wing creatures who kill and feed off of thous that escape justice. Monday is pulled into the world of the Nightlings and finds that the life that saved her, could be the same life that destroys her with what is corrupt and what is moral. If she can keep herself alive.

Expect a new post on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Chapter 1 on the 7th.
With all due respect,
Megan

2 comments:

Rusty Rhoad said...

Congratulations, Megan. Good look in your quest.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to reading the first chapter. BTW: January 7th is Monday. Can't wait for the read.